VeraCrypt 1.23 is a completely free disk encryption software that is designed based on TrueCrypt. It adds extra security to the algorithms used to encrypt systems and partitions. Hence, making it “immune” to new changes in brute-force attacks.
For example, when a system partition is encrypted, TrueCrypt will use PBKDF2-RIPEMD160 with 1,000 iterations. While, VeraCrypt using 327,666 repeating steps. Also, for standard partitions TrueCrypt uses at least 2,000 iterations, but VeraCrypt uses 655,331 for RIPEMD160 and 500,000 iteration steps for SHA-2 & Whirlpool.
This enhanced security delays the opening of the encrypted partitions without any impact on performance. This can be easily accepted by legitimate owners, but makes it more difficult for attackers to gain access to users’ encrypted data.
In addition, the storage format of VeraCrypt Completely incompatible with TrueCrypt. Besides, this software is also available in many languages other than English. Simply select the language file you need from this link and copy it to the installation directory. Then, launch VeraCrypt and access the menu “Settings-> Language… ”and selected language from the list.
Latest VeraCrypt update
- The software is now compatible with the default SecureBoot EFI configuration for the system encryption.
- Fixed an EFI system encryption error on some computers (eg HP, Acer).
- Supports EFI system encryption on Windows LTSB.
- Added system encryption feature with Windows 10 upgrade by ReflectDrivers engine.
- Create correct decrypted partition EFI Rescue Disk when Windows Repair overwrites the first partition.
- Added a Driver option in the UI to allow Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 defragmenters to detect disks encrypted by VeraCrypt.
- Added internal authentication of the signatures containing binary file protection against a number of tampering attacks.
- Fixed a bug where Secure Desktop was unable to process favorites related to login information on Windows 10 under certain circumstances.
- With Secure Desktop enabled, use it for Mount Options if it shows up in front of the password dialog.
- When extracting files in Setup or Portable mode, unzip the zip, docs.zip and language.zip files ready to use configuration.
- Display a warning in the form of a balloon (baloon tip) when pasting text in the password field longer than specified. Therefore, it will be cut short.
- Perfect the language selection mechanism at the installer’s boot to make it easier for international users to use.
- Added container file size check during creation to make sure it is smaller than available disk space.
- Fix the button below that does not appear when users set the system font in large size on Windows 7.
- Fix compatibility with some drivers that do not support IOCTL_DISK_GET_DRIVE_GEOMETRY_EX ioctl.