Process Hacker is an open source program that allows the user to view the applications and services running on the system in a more granular level. Importantly, Process Hacker provides more ways to interact than Windows’ Task Manager such as tweaking virtual memory for a process, security level, shutting down / resuming processes …
When you want to know what a certain process is, belonging to which application you can click on “What is this?“to find information on the internet quickly.
- Simple, customizable, high-highlighted tree interface emphasizes running processes
- Detailed statistics support charts
- Supports advanced features that other software doesn’t have, such as detaching from the debugger, monitoring the GDI Handle, viewing the heap, importing and removing DLLs, …
- Stop processes that bypass security software and rootkit
- View, edit, and control services including those not displayed in the Services console
- View and disconnect from the network
- Start up immediately, unlike other software
- View detailed stack traces thanks to support kernel-mode, WOW64 and.NET
A few tips when using the application
- Use key combinations Ctrl + I to view operating system information. Move the cursor over a graph to get a tooltip with information about the data points under the cursor. The user can double-click on the chart to see information about the process at the data point, even if the process is no longer running.
- If you can’t delete or edit a file, you’ll need to find out what process is using it. Press the key combination Ctrl + F to search for a Handle or DLL. If all the arguments fail, you can right-click an entry and close all handles associated with that file. However, you should only use this feature when there is no other measure available, as this may cause data loss or corruption.
Update in new version
- Update for Windows 8.1 version
- Additional process display for thread stack
- Update ExtendedServices plugin
- Add a few new types of trigger data
- Fixed error handling names with long characters
- Fixes Run As Block opening apps for Windows 8
- Edit information console host for Windows 8.1
- Fixed a bug that could not turn off reflective processes