There are many free dictionary software available to help you look up a dictionary right on your computer. And among the outstanding dictionary tools to mention StarDict. It can be said that this is a dictionary that runs extremely fast and has the most special features today among the free dictionaries.
StarDict – free English-Vietnamese dictionary software
- Automatically look up words and choose the right dictionary for the word you just entered. You can look up English, Vietnamese or any language word (using Unicode font).
- If you want to see the words you have looked up before, then click on the 4th button from right.
- You can use the “*“And”?“To look smart. For example, if you enter “*iger“Then you will see a series of words ending in”iger“. And if you replace the “*“With”?“Then you will get the exact word”tiger“. If you want to look up words that are similar to the word “tiger“(Via fuzzy query algorithm) you just need to add the”/“In front of the word to look up.
- When you hover your mouse over any text area, a small window appears meaningfully inside. You can fix this window somewhere by pressing the button Lock. In this floating window, you can perform functions such as: copy to memory, save meaning, pronounce, cross-query or fuzzy query. You can also check the meaning of title bars, menus, text on buttons, desktop icons, and buttons Start… However, the word in the form of images was not yet known.
- If you do not want to click on a word, the word search table will appear, just uncheck “Scan words” in the main dictionary window or right click on the dictionary icon in the system tray. system and uncheck “Scan”.
- The lookup is very simple, in the main window of the program, you only need to enter the word to look up with Unicode font style in the typewriter Unikey good VietKey.
- If you want this dictionary to pronounce when looking up words, you should check Pronouce the word when it pops up in the “Categories” window (before you turn on the pronunciation mode, you need to download the 80MB audio file at the given address. above, then unzip to the folder C: Program Files ).
If necessary, you can look up words through online dictionaries. You can also add or remove any online dictionaries that you like. To cross between words, you just need to double click on the lookup.
Another function is to look up words through online dictionaries on the Internet. You right-click on the button “Search in an Internet dictionary – Right click to select Website category” and select the online dictionary you want.
Then, a Web page of the dictionary you just selected appears explaining the meaning of the word you need to look up.
Above are the main features of StarDict dictionaryThere are many other features and special usage configuration options waiting to be explored.
Instructions for installing and using StarDict
To using StarDict, you download the main program, capacity 13MB (including program support dictionary, dictionary StarDict, data dictionary English – Vietnamese, Vietnamese – English, Vietnamese – Vietnamese) or extensions, capacity 93MB ( other dictionary data and dictionary audio – optional)
Dictionary data includes: English – Vietnamese, Vietnamese – English, Vietnamese – Vietnamese, French – Vietnamese, Vietnamese – French, Russian – Vietnamese, German – Vietnamese, Norwegian – Vietnamese.
First, you install the dictionary support program. In the final installation step, select the language in the box Current user’s language and All users’ language is Vietnamese (vi).
Next, you install the dictionary on your device. After the installation is complete, extract the dic.zip file to the C: Program Files StarDict dic folder (similar for other dictionary data).
Instructions for use StarDict
Once done, reboot and click the green dictionary icon on the desktop. Star Dict dictionary will appear with a list of words to look up to the left, while to the right are buttons to hide / show the word list. Below from left to right are buttons: automatically scan the desired word when hovering over a word, instructions, exit the dictionary, find the word in a dictionary on the Internet, open the Web page of StarDict, managing dictionaries and configuring dictionaries.